Sunday, 17 February 2008

Po-tay-toe / Po-tah-toe

People really do say “gahmen” in this country. (Gahmen means government – an affectionate term used by the older generation S’poreans as many, through no fault of their own, cannot pronounce the word properly.) I have always thought that the truncated pronunciation of the word was only used by the older generation because of lack of awareness and other factors involving education and sociology. The younger ones who use it often use it in jest or in mockery. However, I was unfortunately proven wrong today.

As I was intently doing my homework at a coffee joint today, I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on the conversation going on at the next table. Yes, I do know that eavesdropping is in very bad taste but these people were loud and fodder for this blog. They looked like twentysomethings and were discussing the recent Budget. They were happily regaling each other with the pros and cons of the “gahmen” and how the Budget would affect them and what the “gahmen” is doing. Oh dear. I am sure that they are well read and they watch the news every night. So how difficult is it to pronounce all three syllables in the word “government”? The icing on the top of the cake was “Mel-bum” (i.e. Melbourne).

Yes, the Daily Toe meows… and should get off her high horse and deal with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't never understand why people pronounce it as "Melbum".

Vivian said...

*lol* wait till u hear "aussie" instead of "australia"
irks me to no end as i am in Melbourne! :p

Frou said...

I think it is laziness in articulation. Or maybe they genuinely thinks "BOURNE = burm". The americans think it is 'Born'

Burn, baby, burn