Today I decided to be housewifely and make my own Teochew porridge and the little dishes that go along with it. I came out of it relatively unscathed.
1. The porridge – This was relatively idiot-proof as I have a thermal pot, affectionately known as the Magic Pot (as Krusty and I term it), and this baby can stew whatever that is in it for hours on end. It’s still stewing…
2. The chai po (pickled radish) omelette – I soaked the chai po so that it would not be too salty and when I drained the chai po, along with the water tumbled out the chai po into the sink. I suck. Grandma told me to press the water out of the chai po with kitchen roll. The little buggers stuck to the kitchen roll and I had to pick them out one by one to throw them into the frying pan while the oil was bubbling merrily and trying to scald my arm. And my omelette is not even round. I couldn’t flip it so it kind of folded itself into a sorry half. Bah.
3. The minced pork with salted soya beans – I love Grandma’s so I figured it must be in the genes and I can cook something vaguely similar. Genes… beans? I was happily tossing the garlic with a flick of the wrist, added in the salted soya beans and the minced pork and stirred everything together. Then I had a Yoda moment and heard Grandma’s voice in my head saying, “You must add sugar to the pork to counter the salty beans.” Sugar. Sugar. I scrambled around the kitchen looking for sugar. I knew I had some. Then I realised that all I had was Rohrzucker aus Zuckerrohr. I put in my very Chinese minced pork dish raw cane sugar from Germany. Achtung Baby! I have no normal sugar at home! Atas my ass.
4. Thank goodness the rest of the food are either in bottles (pickled lettuce) or cans (peanuts).
Oh well. This is my labour of love. Cooking is so not my thing. *dials Pizza Hut*
No comments:
Post a Comment