Sunday, 7 December 2008

These are a few of my favourite things

I like this period of winding-down. The madness of the year is slowly dissipating and I can finally party like there’s no tomorrow. (Wait, I do that on a regular basis…) I have big plans in terms of work for next year but I have a feeling that I will not do anything till 29th December 2008. I’ll just patiently wait for the panic and mayhem to set in.

It’s been a good year – sorta, kinda, coulda. One must always give thanks for the small things in life.

The Frou has finally found a suitable nest to call home. *cue chirping birds* I’ve been happily making myself feel very much at home, arranging my limbs on her Landlord’s wooden coffeeshop chairs and leaving the flat at highly inappropriate times. Come to think of it, the conversations at the flat are also highly inappropriate, complete with wild gesticulations, enactments of current news stories and brandishing of wine glasses. The Landlord is a fast learner, always managing to keep with our antics and contributing nuggets of information and gossip. Did you know that men who have prostate cancer are able to lactate because of the medication? (Courtesy of the Landlord and Google)

My family is well and good. My Grandma, who turned 92 this year, is the best person in the whole wide world. I like spending the afternoon with her just watching Animal Planet. She loves watching the animals run around and she’d tell me stories of snakes. Once, we found some kittens in the garden. The both of us were just standing there looking for the kittens and I was trying to point out the black and white kitten to her. Last week, I went to see her after I got back from my beach holiday. As I lay on her lap, she stroked my head and asked my why my face is so orr (black in Hokkien). I think she was trying to wipe off my tan. She has dreams of me being a fair maiden.

My Shit Hole is currently undergoing home improvement. The meows have a tendency to wreck the place with their mad dashing through the house (they’ve broken a few things including my $300 face masque and a plate I painstakingly made during pottery class), their mad leaping off the cupboard and the fridge and their mad clawing of anything they can get their paws on. I got a new cat-proof bed made of solid wood that is also fire-retardant. The very eager salesmen whipped out his lighter and tried to set the bed on fire in an attempt to make a sale. He also went round the bed and used his knuckles to rap loudly on the wood to prove that it was real wood as opposed to alibaba wood. I was scared. And I was sold. I am not sure how many times I’d be in bed with a naked flame but a fire-retardant bed sounds groovy. The P, who is a home improvement enthusiast, sandpapered the toilet pipes to rid them of rust and painted them white so the toilet looks bright and clean. It’s a good Shit Hole to live in.

I do have more things to be thankful for but I think I’ve overstayed my welcome at the coffee joint. And damn, I still do not have internet access at home…

No comments: