Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Mid-week Feed

We decided to have a Coffee Shop Week.

Monday:
1. Nasi Lemak & Laksa at Holland Village - I love Chinese Nasi Lemak because there is luncheon meat. Luncheon meat is so bad, it's good. You know luncheon meat is probably all the bits of pigs such as the snout, the tail and the hooves that go into this giant blender (somewhere in the armpit of China) and everything is shredded, whirred and mixed into tins of wholesome goodness.

2. Fried chicken wings at Wala's - Ugh. Fried food is my Archilles' Heel. Ok, not exactly coffee shop food but what the hey. The happy hour G & Ts were also a draw... a big big draw.

Tuesday:
1. Mother Toe's trifle - The Frou and friends will know how deliciously sinful my mother's trifle is. It is made up of a layer of sponge cake, jelly, custard and cream topped with fruit. Don't trifle with the trifle. I don't even bother to slice it and put it on a plate.

2. Teochew porridge at the dodgy Balestier hotel - I am not big on buffets but it was much needed comfort food. As we drove into the car park, I caught sight of the huge banner proclaiming "Teochew Porridge Buffet - No Pork, No Lard!". I let out a wail of disappointment. No minced pork with fermented soy beans! No braised pork! No pork! However, the buffet was still quite satisfying without the pork. The Filipina band was crooning bad Celine Dion and bad Madonna and I was shouting across the table to drown them out. It was very 80s.

I wonder what today will bring.

No comments: