To ring in the Lunar New Year, the Frou decided to organise a fireworks party at her place in M'sia. Let me tell you this - M'sia is the land of alibaba. According to Wikipedia, firecrackers in Malaysia are banned for similar reasons as in Singapore. However, many Malaysians smuggle them from Thailand. So that explains the freedom to set off firecrackers and fireworks.
We rocked up to JB on Thursday and we started eating once we set foot in the Frou threshold. There was some yusheng tossing in Cantonese and I had no idea what we were wishing for so I happily grunted a few aaahs and woooos.
The Frou introduced us to our fireworks stash. The S'poreans were amazed. Rightfully so because we grew up not knowing what a firecracker or firework looked like. Until that day...
We rocked up to JB on Thursday and we started eating once we set foot in the Frou threshold. There was some yusheng tossing in Cantonese and I had no idea what we were wishing for so I happily grunted a few aaahs and woooos.
The Frou introduced us to our fireworks stash. The S'poreans were amazed. Rightfully so because we grew up not knowing what a firecracker or firework looked like. Until that day...

The Frou family generously invited me to light the 2m long chain of firecrackers. A joss stick was thrusted into my hand and I was led to the fuse. In my head, I had visions of the crackers exploding in my face and me being taken to a Malaysian hospital for reconstructive surgery. I was telling everyone about the news reports of explosions in fireworks factories in China but no one seemed to pay any attention to me... THE FIREWORKS ARE MADE IN CHINA!!
Needless to say, I didn't set the firecrackers off because I chickened out and ran away with the joss stick. Apparently, I did a lot of running away that night. I was quite content hiding in the porch (and behind a brick wall), shouting instructions to the fire-starters/arsonists/ pyromaniacs. My instructions were very simple:
1. Run
2. Run now
3. Run faster
4. Don't run backward
5. Take cover
6. Cover your face
7. Your face is precious
My friends have no regard for their safety. Merry Man would light a fuse and SAUNTER to safety, ignoring my well-meaning instructions.
In the end, for national pride, I set off ONE firework. Cannot let the M'sians think that S'poreans are wusses what. Amid the Frou's heckling, I lit ONE fuse (with help from Frou's Man) and ran like a bat out of hell.
Katy Perry would be so proud.

I saw more of the fireworks from the videos that were taken than during the actual event... Each time I looked up when the fireworks were exploding, I could only see the ceiling of the Frou's porch :/
Gong xi fa cai everyone!!

No comments:
Post a Comment