Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Flirt Schlirt

“You cannot flirt your way through life!”

The P tells me this from time to time. Apparently, I intend to flirt my way through life. I use the term “flirt” very loosely here. It doesn’t mean going all out to meet boys and getting free drinks but more so getting people (men or women) to do what you want / getting people to do what you don’t want to do / getting just that little boost to help you along the way. A good example is getting the boys to offer to do your school homework for you.

The Frou and I are quite the dynamic duo when it comes to this. As we have stellar personalities, restaurant staff have a tendency to ply us with free food and affection. At one of our favourite watering holes in Holland Village, our very friendly and reliable waiter often finds us a table regardless of how crowded it may be. All we have to do is to say, “Eh…no table is it?” and give him the look of thirst and hunger. He would immediately weave in and out of tables and whistle to us when he finds a (usually) fantastic spot. Sometimes he throws in a free fish fillet when we order fish and chips. He also panders to all our gu-niang requests such as “dressing on the side”, “no coleslaw, more fries please” with a brilliant smile. And all we have to do is to be ourselves… The Ah Lians that we are.

Another wonderful gastronomic delight that the Frou and I got for free was this wonderful blueberry pie from a German joint in the East. Amidst lots of smiles, the manager brought out two delicious lovelies “on the house”. We were delighted and tried to imagine ourselves as Norah Jones eating Jude Law’s pies (ok, that sounds wrong…) in My Blueberry Nights.

The Frou (trying very hard to lick her lips in a sweetie-pie fashion): Eh, look like Norah Jones or not?
The Daily Toe (shoving pie into face): Mmm… Yes, yes, you do… in your dreams…

The P hates the way I lane change. According to the law-abiding citizens, it is incorrect to stick my hand out of the window, wave congenially to oncoming vehicles and lane change up to four lanes. Cannot meh?

The P (narrowing eyes): If I see you do that, I’ll speed up! I won’t let you cut into my lane!
The Daily Toe (with the sad face and all): Not even if I wave? And smile?
The P (with resolute): NEVER!

Last night, when I was running along Clementi Road, I did the wave and smile thing and stopped traffic. I didn’t want to break momentum so I waved and smiled and kindly motorists stopped to let me cross the road.

Children, don’t try this at home.

2 comments:

Frou said...

It was you who got us the norah-friggin-jones pies because you pally-pally with the tatooed bald manager ("Sien Sheng, hen jiu bu jian. Mei you qu gym ar?")

I concur that "flirting" WILL gets us everywhere, even with girls. You forgot to mention about the Spizza ladies who love us and feed us even though they need to close their kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the Spizza ladies are great. Also don't forget the Chinese place (close to heaven aka Biscuit King) where we got more broth after we nearly finished the first round.

As for running, I do the same. Never loose momentum - just stop the traffic by waving and smiling gracefully.