Thursday, 31 July 2008

Animal Crackers!

Last night at the climbing gym, I paired up with someone I’ve never climbed with before. He happens to be a vet at the local zoo and I think he regretted climbing with me because I inundated him with animal questions.

I learnt a few cold hard truths last night.

The Daily Toe: Do you have to put down many animals?
The Vet: Yes. When the deer have a broken leg, we have to put them down because it’s too expensive to rehabilitate.
The Daily Toe (gasps): If you don’t want, give me!! I’ll take care of the deer with the broken leg!

And The Daily Toe believes she can save all the animals in the world.

The Daily Toe: Who names the animals in the zoo? When the baby capybaras were born, they had silly names like Cubbybara, Happybara and Luckybara. Do all the animals have names?
The Vet (slightly embarrassed): That was a GIMMICK for the year of the rat. We give the animals NUMBERS.
The Daily Toe (terribly crestfallen): Oh.

And The Daily Toe believes she can name all the animals in the world.

Flopsy, Peanut, Tiger…












2 comments:

dew said...

I no longer like vets! Unfeeling cads, all of them! Humph!

Anonymous said...

so boring these vets! numbers??!