Wednesday, 4 March 2009

It's about damn time!

It's been seven hours and fifteen days
Since you took your love away
I go out every night and sleep all day
Since you took your love away
Since you been gone I can do whatever I want
I can see whomever I choose
I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant
But nothing ...
I said nothing can take away these blues,
'Cause nothing compares ...
Nothing compares to you

This is one of the songs that The Frou and I belt out from time to time. I think it’s been more than seven hours and fifteen days since I last blogged. More like two months. Like The Frou, my laptop is a graveyard of incomplete entries. I start an entry and the school bell rings so I abandon ship and try to earn my keep.

To my one reader (who is probably my sister!), I am all right! I’ve just been upholding my 2009 resolution. In the words of Boxer the horse, I will work harder. And hard, I’ve been working. Hell, I’ve been working my fingers to the bone.

So this will be an update in a nutshell entry.

How the Daily Toe spent the December Holidays:
It was sun, sand and sea.









I got sunburnt on the second day... How loserly is that?
How the Daily Toe spent Valentine’s Day:
The Saturday started with a spot of climbing with The Frou. The Frou was nursing a post-Friday night shenanigans headache and was bouncing off the wall in her usual annoying Lilliputian manner. The topic of the day was “Teachers who have sex with 15 year olds”. As usual, fingers were pointed in all the wrong direction and morals were questioned. To which I sagely replied, “I am Moral.” (In this case, the word “moral” is a noun.) This reply ignited raucous laughter and rude retorts.

The Frou, the Merry Man and I proceeded to make our presence felt at a Spanish hole-in-the-wall restaurant during our Valentine’s Day outing. We out-ate, out-drank and outlasted all the other diners. In true Frou-Daily Toe fashion, we became fast friends with the staff (the chef was going for a dalliance at a Thai bar in Beach Road after work…) and we were given tipple (“On the house!” the manager declared…). It was a brilliant night. Batman and Robin strike again. Ole!

How the Daily Toe is getting on with Life In General:
Life is good. And this is not said in a prescribed drugs haze or anything.

The exercise regime has been going well. I have learnt not to be too reliant on the gym and I am able to truly appreciate the magnificence of Bukit Timah Hill. Yes, I do understand that it is not comparable to the Pyrenees or such and it’s more a mound than a hill, but it is home. The climbing has left the Frou and me battered and bruised most of the time; however, it is always coupled with random madness and laughter. And the big meal that follows.

The Best Friend and her bub are back in Singapore and this means more trips to the zoo! We love the dugongs and the otters. There’s this climber dude who I see at the gym from time to time. He works at the zoo and each time I see him, I inundate him with zoo questions. Poor fella. All he wants to do is talk about climbing and all I want to do is to listen to animal tales. He usually obliges and tells me about baby hippos and wild pigs escaping.

The Bub has grown! He's even taller than the fake otter!


The REAL otters
Dugongs with the funny nostrils

I have made some decisions in life that are/will be good for me. With the inner circle, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that we’ve all gone our separate ways in terms of outlook of life and priorities. Sad to say, we’ve grown out of our secondary school personas and moved on. I trundle along. Instead of being miserable in the company of people who are not singing the same tune, I’d rather be with people who will unabashedly sing Superwoman with me. Maybe in time to come, absence will make the heart grow fonder.

In a strange twist of events, I bumped into a blast from the past. It’s been almost a year since I called his date a tranny. There was a slight awkwardness at the start and the two words “poise” and “elegance” were ricocheting in my head, like a tiny rubber ball on the loose. Like what good old Shakespeare said, all’s well that ends well. It was uneventful. No one was a crumpled heap on the floor. There were no broken bones or hearts for that matter. For the first time in my life, I felt like a full-fledged adult.

In the very wise words of the Frou, “some people are just bad for you”.

2 comments:

E ling said...

i read you too!

glad to hear about your life!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for re-blogging again! I know i see you ALOT but reading our shenanigans on your ur blog gives me a diff. perspective of the same facts :p

Anyhoo, yes I agree we are older and wiser in the first few months of 2009 than the past 2 years put together. I esp. like that we are growing in the same direction - it's comforting, and absolutely necessary to keep my sanity in check.

It will be a good year ahead; trust me.

* sings "Sama sama, maju ke hadapan"....*