Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Knights of the Round Table


These days, I settle for hanging around the Round Table and not in a strobe-lit, hard-thumping meat market. This refers to being seated in a circular fashion and expounding on the complexities of life. Riiight...

Round Table Session 34 comprised of The Frou, The Frou’s mate The Sea of Bitterness, The P and me with lots of grog and good food. The Sea was in town on a work trip and was staying at a serviced apartment which costs more than my monthly salary to rent for a week. Needless to say, we struck while the iron was hot (I love these old proverbs!) and we pretended to be chi-chi for the day and oohed and ahhed at the fancy digs.

Some of the topics discussed were:


1. Childhoods – I realised that I did not have friends when I was growing up. While The Frou, The Sea and The P played badminton and five stones, climbed over walls and did the kampong thing, I was reading Enid Blyton and playing imaginary lacrosse. By myself. When I told everyone that I had dreams of going to boarding school and riding a horse, I drew blank stares. Hey, I could say “equestrian” when I was seven! Doesn’t that count for having a childhood?

2. Exes – We discovered that The P’s ex and I once dated the same guy. To which The Frou howled, “Singapore is very small!” It is indeed – with six degrees of separation and all. I mean, how can 5 million people be so intrinsically entwined? To which The P snorted with pure derision, “Huh! The girls he likes all have the same pattern!” Oh dear! I am of a pattern! I am cookie-cutter! Call me Gingerbread Man.

3. Fake basketball – The Frou and I have a secret talent. We can play all kinds of sports without actually playing them. In the living room of The Sea’s fancy schmancy apartment, we demonstrated how one can play basketball without a court, hoop and, most importantly, the damn ball. We dribbled, blocked and scored. With one long arm, I could push The Frou’s forehead to prevent her stumpy arms from stealing the “ball” I was dribbling with the other long arm. It was ugliness. My limbs were getting entangled in the imaginary art of basketball.

Here’s to more Round Table sessions, my knightly friends!




1 comment:

Frou said...

We r definitely having more round table discussions as The Sea will be back in SG next week, and staying near YOU!

*dribbles fake basketball and doing a slam dunk*