I don't tell my parents enough that I love them.
My father is a funny one.
As my father was wheeled out of the operating theatre, he still had to energy to wave to the nurses who were pushing the bed to tell them that I am his daughter. Even though he was mumbling in a drug-induced haze, he had so much pride in his voice.
Today he sent me a text to tell me that he was okay and that I did not have to visit. However, I decided to go over during dinner time as he is unable to eat and would be tremendously grumpy. He loves eating and is a suckling pig fiend. He can tell you where to find the best piggy in Melaka, Bangkok and Chinatown. He can tell you if the pig is charcoal roasted or done the fake way. He will lovingly ta-bao the head of the pig so that he can eat it the next day. I think he would name the pigs out of affection...
When I walked into the ward, I found my father crying. It wasn't that he was feeling lousy but he was reflecting on life. As I held his big paw, he told me that he was so afraid that he was going to die and leave my sister and me. That is his biggest fear - that my sister and I will have no one.
I hope to be as big-hearted as my father.

Daddy and me!
My mother is now in Israel. We had this conversation before she left.
Toe: Why are you going to Israel?? Who is gonna look after Daddyyyyyyy?
Mother Toe (sagely): God...
I admire my mother's faith... I am very thankful to Big Guy for everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment