Wednesday, 12 March 2008

I am too everything...

‘You are too everything, darling.’ That’s what The Klein said to me when I recounted the day’s events to him.

It is definitely a sign when, on two very separate occasions, two very different persons say the same thing about me.

Sign 1:
The Klein told me what our mutual friend from the gym said about me. Gym Boy said that I am “too quick for him” and he is unable to catch up with me. When he is still on one joke / wisecrack / idiotic comment, I’m already on another joke / wisecrack / idiotic comment and he gets a bit lost. Oh dear.

The Klein said that the comment was not meant to be vindictive. Maybe I talk too much shit? The Klein (bless him!) went on to say that it’s because we have chemistry with each other that’s why we can indulge each other in verbal diarrhoea and this is lost on many people around us.

The Daily Toe: Oh. My. God. We are like the damn Gilmore Girls.
The Klein: I hate the Gilmore Girls.
The Daily Toe: Me too! They are so annoying with all their smartarse remarks.
(A pregnant pause ensues. We look at each other in horror. We are the Gilmore Girls.)

For the uninitiated, The Gilmore Girls is a TV series that has been running forever and it revolves around a mother-daughter duo. The clever scripting brings about a laugh a minute ripostes between the two highly neurotic women and this is vaguely amusing in the first season. By the second season, the repartee becomes ever so grating because of the too polished comic timing and the women sounding like Mickey Mouse on speed.

Sign 2:
I bumped into a Kindly Friend of a friend at Starbucks and we had a little tête-à-tête. He was very gentlemanly without being smarmy. Amidst being quite concerned about my singlehood, he tried to subtly pimp his friend to me. As I lamented about the bad dates and weirdoes, Kindly Friend patted me (kindly) on my arm and told me, “You are too opinionated, too tall and too intelligent for your own good.” Oh dear.

According to the two soothsayers, I need to find someone who:
1) is slightly insane
2) is taller than me
3) has a brain somewhere
4) can keep up with me
5) must have a voice (and preferably a loud one for that matter – to drown me out?)


What do I think?

Maybe, by some stroke of luck, I would wake up tomorrow an unopinionated, unintelligent midget.

The Daily Toe takes everything in her (albeit long) stride.

2 comments:

E ling said...

you are too GOOD for unenlightened people!!

Unknown said...

Woman!
Why do you want to reduce yourself to being a TYPICAL, AVERAGE ASIAN girl?? Trust me, the air up there where you're breathing is much better...