Tuesday, 22 April 2008

Mad Hamsters

I received this little bit of Austen from The Frou who immediately thought of her wombat friend when she read it.

To be so bent on marriage — to pursue a man merely for the sake of situation — is a sort of thing that shocks me; I cannot understand it. Poverty is a great evil, but to a woman of education and feeling it ought not, it cannot be the greatest. —I would rather be a teacher at a school (and I can think of nothing worse) than marry a man I did not like.

Emma Watson, in The Watsons by Jane Austen

I know this is not the point but is being a teacher that bad? As I type this, a pile of unmarked essays is staring menacingly at me, my hair is a mess, the coffee is cold and the phone in the common room is ringing madly. What’s there not to love?

Photobucket

courtesy of E. Monkton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Toe! You are source of all wisdom, setter of examples, mentor at times of distress, THE educator! We salute!

Anonymous said...

i love teaching leh... we mould minds ok! don't play!