Wednesday, 21 May 2008

The Pig

The P commented that I’ve been sighing a lot of late. I haven’t realised. It’s not as if I am terribly unhappy or fraught with issues. Maybe I am still recovering from the insanity of the long weekend. Even though it was fabulous to see the KL people again, this 33 year old body cannot deal with the sleeping at 6am and waking up at 10am to get the day started. Damn the ageing process!

Some of the food that I ate over the weekend in KL:

1. Hokkien mee and chicken wings at Wong Ah Wah at Jalan Alor – The only reason why I eat there is because there’s a funny alibaba Mickey Mouse on the signboard. I love the Hokkien mee there because there is a liberal sprinkling of bah-you (pork lard) and I picked out all the bah-you and made myself ill. I heart pork lard. The chicken wings were, as usual, glazed with honey and burnt in all the right places.

2. Char siew and roast pork rice – In KL, I rekindled my love affair with pork. The roast pork or sio-bah was crunchy and succulent at the same time. I was in pork heaven, ironically in a Muslim country. The char siew was sweet enough and charred evenly. I must have frightened The P when I happily attacked the pork and made satisfied smacking sounds. Mmmm…

3. Ramly Burger – The requisite KL meal that will clog your arteries and send you to an early grave. Pronto. The patties are fried in Planta butter and the burger buns are also grilled in the same stuff. The fella will then squeeze an assortment of sauces such as mayonnaise, chilli sauce and the special Ramly sauce on top of the patty that has been wrapped in a fried egg. The KLites questioned the Singaporean obsession with Ramly. Well, they haven’t tried the god-awful pasar malam versions where the burger is only an inch thick and the sauce doesn’t dribble down your arm like a Ramly should.

4. More char siew for lunch – I had char siew noodles in Jalan Alor again. The noodles were springy, quite unlike what we get in Singapore. Words cannot express how much I love char siew!

5. Frappacinos and various ice-blended coffee drinks – I have been told that I am not a real coffee drinker. This is according to the espresso drinkers who scoff at the latte / cappuccino drinkers because we add milk and sugar to our coffee. Horror of horrors! The desecration of coffee-drinking – milk and sugar! Nice what.

That was my long weekend. *Burp* Had a good one, my friends?

3 comments:

E ling said...

your weekend sounds extremely yummy...

ahhhhhhh

Anonymous said...

wah lao eh... you purposely!

Anonymous said...

i want go kl! wanna na na na go!