A new life – how many times have we heard that cliché about new beginnings?
A friend who had just ended a relationship showed me a text message that was sent to her by the ex. The text went something like ‘Heard that you have a new life. Good for you.’ Note the sarcasm dripping.
Sitting in the car park shooting the breeze with the aforementioned friend, I turned to her and baulked when I read the text. My question is – what exactly is a new life? Don’t we only have one life? What’s this about “a new life”? Does it mean that each time we break up with someone, life comes to a halt and when you meet someone else, life starts all over again? What is life then? Chopped liver?
I threw my head back and laughed. Silly silly people. Such arrogance to think that one can actually make or break another person’s life. I believe that the whole concept of “a new life” only exists if one has no life to begin with. It is sad. It’s all Jerry Maguire’s fault to have come up with the line “You complete me.” Bollocks.
Jerry Maguire: I love you. You... you complete me. And I just...
Dorothy: Shut up, just shut up. You had me at "hello".
Don’t get me wrong. I am not crying bloody murder or going to spit in the faces of the next happy couple I see (unless you annoy me with the unnecessary face-sucking when I am behind you on the escalator). I look at my friends who are happily married and I have nothing but respect and admiration for them. It takes a lot of effort to sustain and maintain a relationship. However, so many people tend to lose themselves in a relationship and sometimes one’s personality becomes so diluted when in a relationship. Think tepid tap water.
People, have a life. Your own.
1 comment:
Dorothy so rude. People say love her and she ask them to shut up....
Post a Comment