Friday, 13 June 2008

There really is a rabbit in the park...

I have been doing absolutely nothing. I think this is the first time in a long while that I’ve not gone away during June. I’ve been spending a lot of time with the meows. Tiggy is next to me now and his pink tongue is sticking out. He’s like a baby; when he sleeps, his tongue peeks out. He’s like a cat with no bones. I can take him and put him in any position and he doesn’t complain. He’s just content to be close to me. Sometimes, he would reach out his paw and very gently touch my face, as if to tell me that everything is going to be all right. My funny cat.

The past few nights have been spent looking for a rabbit in the park nearby. This is the rabbit story.

On Saturday night, I was driving home after a wedding dinner. It was almost 11pm. As I drove past the park, I saw a furball hopping around in the grassy patch. I stopped the car and went to investigate. Lo and behold was a rabbit in the park! It had a collar and bell around its neck. (I’ve since christened him Flops.) In my wedding getup, I was running around the park trying to get close to Flops so I could either take him back to his owner or find him a new home. My stupid two inch stilettos kept on sinking into the soil and I was tottering around the park like a damn clown.

A Thai worker cycled by and told me that he has seen Flops around for a while and when it rains, Flops would hide under the bushes. The nice chap tried to help me catch the rabbit but Flops was very skittish. I decided that it was useless trying to run about in heels so I went home to change and get Chippy’s old timothy hay and the cats’ basket. Rabbit Rescue! Back at the park, all the lights had already been switched off. I could not find Flops. I was wandering in the dark with a handful of hay looking for a rabbit with a full face of wedding makeup. I must have looked a sight. Or a fright.

The Frou and The German had just finished watching Kungfu Panda and they texted to see what I was doing. I called The Frou sobbing and trying to tell her the rabbit story at the same time. I think it was the anger and frustration that have been building up in the 45 minute rabbit hunting saga. The anger was targeted at Flops’ owners who let their rabbit loose. I was frustrated because I was trying so hard yet I could not solve this problem.

The Frou (trying to stifle giggles): Are you on drugs??
The Daily Toe (sobbing hysterically): Noooo… there really IS a rabbit in the park. I’m not Alice in Wonderland… And my mascara is running…

After The Frou and The German finished their laughing, they were very comforting and told me to go home. The P who had been texting me throughout the search also got an earful when I bawled somewhat incoherently over the phone. The P had offered to come round to help me but I turned down the offer because I figured out that it was my own issue with abandonment that I had to deal with.

Thank you my friends for putting up with my histrionics and madness from time to time! Heart!

Flops is now less frightened of me and is eating from my hand. I will try to look for his owners and give them a piece of my mind. Hmpf. I took a picture of Flops but he looks like a demon rabbit in it so I am not going to post it…

There really is a rabbit in the park.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flops looks diabolitical from the picture.....demon rabbit from the park!!!!!!

*the frou makes annoying twilight zone sounds*