Tuesday, 14 August 2007

Woes of the Unwed #46

Last night, I went home to Mum’s for dinner because she makes a mean chicken rendang and babi-ponteh. As I was working my way through the chicken, she happily waved a silver (eep?!) wedding invitation at me.

Me (in between mouthfuls of succulent chicken): Who that?

Mum (in excited gasps): Remember Mark from church? He preaches! He is your age!

In Mum’s alternate reality where everyone over the age of 30 is married and blissful…
Me (clasping my hands in glee): Wow! He’s getting married? I am thrilled!

Reality bites…
Me (still in between mouthfuls of succulent chicken): Eee… The fatty with the American accent? Who would want to marry him? She blind?

Mum (frowning with displeasure): Girl, don’t be rude.

Grandma (who lost her false teeth…): mmmffmmffff…

Poor Grandma. She has no teeth! She tried to give me advice and told me to marry a teacher. HAHAHA!

As I was leaving, I could still hear them talking about how it’s not too late for me to look for a nice young man. It was as if I were invisible. Hello? Mum was saying that there’s nothing wrong if the man is fat. Dad was going on about how I should look for someone who is as handsome as him. Grandma was still insistent that I should hook up with a fellow teacher. Me, I ran to my car and stepped on the accelerator. Chicken rendang or not.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Picture of lovely basil sorbet at Xi Yan

1 comment:

SeaLs said...

Remember Ade's warning - you'll hold hands, looking deeply into the other's adoringly and say, "Come, honey, let's mark together!"

Eeks. How ironical!

haha...