Monday, 18 June 2007

No apologies at all...

Dear all,
I realised that this blog is getting a bit of unwanted attention and I am slightly irked. My sole purpose in starting this blog is to keep in touch with close friends and family both here in Singapore and abroad. Yes, that means all three of you who actually read this! I have absolutely no intention of becoming the next prolific blogger or such (I have neither the writing prowess or mental capacity to keep up with it).

Again the age-old debate over the public and private sphere rears its ugly head. What can be deemed as private and public these days? My sole purpose has now become my worst nightmare. Which is sad in certain ways. I guess I have learnt the hard way to exercise some censorship in what I say and lose the Narcissus moments - and I will readily apologise if I have caused anyone grief in the process of my sometimes mindless writing.

To the unintentional / uninvited readers - you can criticise me all you want. The point of education is to provide a voice for everyone. However, one must be able to use that voice effectively and with a certain degree of respect and dignity. If you want to criticise my English and / or my style of writing, by all means. I make no claims to be the next Catherine Lim and write about hapless bond maids. Do not judge me for the way I live my life because I will not make any apologies for my being. If you, at my age, have led a life with no insecurities or fulfillment, pain or pleasure (the dichotomies can go on forever), then come and look for me and I will, in all sincerity, be happy for you. This is my life and my blog and it’s meant for the people who actually like me and want to find out what’s going on in my life.

I initially made this a private blog this morning. However, after some thought, I realised that it’s not in my character to be afraid of what people say about me. When I first started teaching, one person told me that I was too “bohemian” for this job. Another told me that wearing lipstick to work wouldn’t make me a better teacher. Today I look at these people who were so quick to judge me and I am the one having the last laugh. I’ve stayed in this job for a good seven years. That says a lot because I need to conform to what the rest of society sees as a teacher. However, in the process, I have also been very careful not to lose myself. I have a life outside of school - one that is filled with friends, family, my pets and lots of exercise. This is what I blog about and I make no apologies for my life.

Thank you the wonderful SK and JJ for telling me about the finer points i.e. the loopholes in Blogger. You guys are fantastic. And I will keep on writing nonsense, the same way you’ll keep on writing nonsense : )))

This blog is for all and sundry to read now because I don’t really care what you think of me.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Liyen,
It's Dawn, June's sister!!! I am glad I can still read your blog, it's very "real" if you know what i mean. I'm glad I am keep in touch with you through your blog :)
Dawn

Anonymous said...

hi ms teo, i got to your blog sometime ago thru mrs tay's and i'm sharon's friend too but i doubt you know who i am! haha! i've never tagged but i've got to tell you that i really enjoy reading your posts and i absolutely love the way you write!

:D

Anonymous said...

hello msteo yay pinchian is my friend anyway i think you lead a very fulfilling life! i want ): its so exciting haha

dew said...

Barney and frens: No no no... you do not want the daily toe's life. Trust me! :)

E ling said...

what loopholes??
but yay to u!

Daily Toe said...

Pinchian! I remember you! We ordered Birkenstocks together right? Heh. Study hard for the A Levels : ))) Sharon, you didn’t go for our last gathering at Crystal Jade. We concluded that you were not studying but watching Korean drama serials at home. Bah.

Phearsa & Habibah said...

hey ms teo! heheh..we all enjoy ur blog! makes us laugh when we are bored...keep on writing!