Sunday, 13 January 2008

If music be the food of love... or not

As Madonna succinctly puts it:
Music makes the people come together
Music makes the bourgeoisie and the rebel


The Frou and I are intrinsically entwined by what we would like to believe is our eclectic taste in music.

When I told her about my dinner date where I transformed into a non-stop eating machine and how I rounded the night off with a milkshake, she skipped around me singing the very annoying and inane “Milkshake” ditty by Kelis. You know the one that goes:
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they’re like, it’s better than yours
Damn right, it’s better than yours
I can teach you
But I have to charge

Erm… what kind of milkshake is Kelis referring to? Just a plain ole milkshake or are there other connotations? I am perplexed. Apparently, The Frou becomes mighty gleeful when she is dancing around me telling me that her milkshake is better than mine.

Other songs that we love:
1) I’ll Stand By You – The Pretenders
Oh, why you look so sad?
Tears are in your eyes
Come on and come to me now

She belts this out to me (usually at inappropriate times like when we are climbing at CA!) when she thinks I have problems. It’s supposed to be an invitation to confide in her but it usually scares me.

2) Superwoman – Karyn White
This is about a woman who is bemoaning her life as a superwoman. She cooks, cleans and panders to her man but he’d “rather read the paper and you don’t want to talk”. The man tells her that the juice that she’d so lovingly prepared is sour and it used to be so sweet. She puts two and two together and thinks that he’s referring to her. Amazing how loaded juice can be. The chorus goes:
I’m not your superwoman
I’m not the kind of girl that you can let down
And think that everything’s okay
Boy, I am only human
This girl needs more than occasional hugs as a token of love from you to me

You can imagine lots of Celine Dion-esque chest thumping when this song is sung. This is our road trip song. The Frou and I go a little crazy when this is played. We sing for all the women who are treated like crap by their partner. A frightening sight indeed.

3) Because of You – Kelly Clarkson
I’ve written enough about this. This was the song that cast our friendship in stone. The gangsters have the blood-drinking ritual. We have Kelly Clarkson.

4) 2 Become 1 – The Spice Girls
This story involves a climbing rope and a rubber teat that is used to protect the end of the rope. While I was tying in, the teat fell off and as I was trying to stuff it back on, The Frou burst into song:
Be a little bit wiser baby
Put it on, put it on
‘Cos tonight is the night when 2 become 1


She was very delighted when I jumped in to join her in song at the climbing wall and we fell on the crash mat howling with laughter, one person who was trying to tie in and the other trying to be on belay. That was also the same night when we were both on belay without a climber.

5) All I wanna do is Make Love to You – Heart
Another road trip song. This time, The Frou had absolutely no idea what the narrative was implying. When I made her sit down quietly (a very difficult task) to understand the lyrics, she squealed and yelped at the opportune moments of the song as it progressively got more risqué. Now she fully understands the meaning of “we walked into the garden, we planted a tree”. No honey, it’s not about botany.

I’m looking forward to our next road trip during which we would uncover more music gems. Malaysia boleh!

1 comment:

Frou said...

Ok girlfriend, I did some online research and in an interview, Kellis explain that "milkshake" refers to the "thing that makes women special."

But everyone else on the message forums reckon that it is either deepthroat or handjob.

Whatever it is, girlfriend, mine is still better than yours.....

Hur hur hur :p (ok ok don't drop me on belay please....!!)