Friday, 18 January 2008

Enchanté!

The Frou and I were having dinner at Holland Village a couple of nights back when I bumped into an old friend outside the restaurant. He is a rather odd ball – I got to know him when I was 18; he is a friend of my cousin and he has questionable scruples. Anyway, in his very dramatic fashion of flailing arms and air-kisses, he insisted that we wait for his artist friend to return to the table.

So we waited.

We watched as The Artist schlepped back to the table. The Artist had a dreadlock type ponytail and very intense eyes. He shook my hand. It felt as if he was going to crush my hand. Talk about a strong handshake to create a first impression. When it was The Frou’s turn, he not only broke her hand but also mumbled, “Enchanté…” After we made a polite getaway, we ran down the road laughing and shouting “enchanté” at each other like monkeys.

The Frou, you very enchanting meh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enchanté - I love french. Isn't it efficient and sexy all at the same time? And no, it doesn't translate to enchanting...

Frou said...

He "enchanté-d" me because I am such a delightful creature. His tortured artist soul sussed it out immediately. Miu!

Daily Toe said...

So pray tell, what does it translate to? The Frou and I are French-stupid. We only know how to eat, drink and make merry!

Anonymous said...

He meant, "nice meeting you". I am sure he was very enchanted by the both of you though.